Saturday, February 2, 2008

IGUIG, CAGAYAN PROVINCE

In the film "Santa Santita", Johnny Delgado plays a priest who was sent to Quiapo from an isolated parish in the province because of his fondness for alcohol. I remember the scene when Johnny was being told of the decision that he was to pulled out of his parish and was to stay in Manila, took place at the back of a very old church, with rolling hills and greens as background, including shots of what seemed to be a life size depictions of the stations of the cross. "Where is this?" It doesn't look like the grotto in Bulacan. I have been there many times as a child with Inang Ina and Tata (my father's parents). It doesn't have the vastness the movie scene had. I don't think it is the one at the back of the Divine Mercy Shrine, again in Bulacan. I remember that it was a little bit less than life size. So, where is this? Somehow the answer came: Iguig, Cagayan province.

Then came this invitation from a parishioner to take a vacation in Cagayan province, and stay at his farm, of all places, in Iguig. He had me at hello. It was in perfect timing; a vacation right after the Christmas season and before Ash Wednesday. It was in Cagayan Valley, a place I have never been to. It was in Iguig; to do a Johnny Delgado (hehe), to see the way of the cross, which I came to know later was called Calvary Hill. The accommodation was free; all I need to do is to prepare a one hour talk for the lay ministers of the parish in Iguig.

We arrived at the farm around 4 pm. We got to visit Calvary around 6 pm. I was afraid that the darkness will somehow impede our appreciation of the place. I was dead wrong. We arrived there for a perfect sunset; a sunset over Cagayan River. It was enchanting.

Yes, this is the place I saw in the movie. The magical colors of the setting sun made it even extraordinarily special.

Now, the pictures of the Calvary HIll does not come with Johnny Delgado, they come with the best sunset I have yet experienced. [And the bonus part is that my nikon captured it, yes.]