Friday, February 8, 2008

NO BUCKET LIST FOR ME

I just watched the movie "Bucket List," starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. The movie is about two old men [Carter and Edward] who were ill with terminal cancer. They share one hospital room. They were both diagnosed to live only upto several months. And so, Carter [Freeman] started to make his bucket list, i.e. a list of things he wanted to do before one kicks the bucket, before one dies [like, helping a stranger to become better - which in the end was fulfilled for helping his roommate in the hospital]. Edward [Nicholson] started to add his own to the list [like, kissing the most beautiful girl in the world - which in the end was crossed out for kissing his own granddaughter after not seeing his own daughter for a long time]. And they both decided to do the list before they die. The movie ends with a monologue by Carter describing how Edward died, "He died with his eyes closed, but with his heart open." The bucket list is a list of things to do where one will find joy.

Today I am 35. I do not wish to arrive the dusk of my life and would have to make my own bucket list, for I intend to live my life in such a way that I fiind joy in my everyday. But I wish I would die like Edward, yes with eyes closed, but with my heart open. Amen.