Sunday, December 7, 2008

Removing all that hinders...

I love my books. They are my treasure. There was a time when I tried collecting CD’s. Then, DVD’s. But, eventually I lost interest. But not with books. I always loved spending time in bookstores, especially in specialty bookstores. I love browsing through shelves and shelves of books. I love books and I love reading. So, I continue to collect books. There are times that I do not know where to put them. Kung saan-saan na lang tuloy nakalagay.

When this happens, it means I need to de-clutter my shelves. I need to examine my books, one by one, and decide which books should go. Which books I do not need at the moment? Which books should be kept? Which books should be sent at home to be kept in the bodega, in order to make room for new ones? This is always a difficult decision. But it has to be done. Kailangan alisin ang ibang libro, para magkaroon ng lugar para sa mga bagong libro na kailangan ko.

Our life is somewhat like this. We collect so many things and we fill our life with a lot of things until it becomes full to the brim. We need to de-clutter our life. If we want to welcome Jesus in our life, we have to make room for him. Hindi siya makakapasok sa buhay natin kung punung puno tayo ng galit, ng inggit, ng sama ng loob, ng kaaway, ng pagkaabala sa materyal na bagay, ng kasalanan.

Our Opening Prayer is perfect for today: Lord, remove all the things that hinder us to welcome Jesus with joy… To remove all things that fill up our hearts and our life that prevent the grace to God to fill us, that prevents the mercy of God to comfort us, that prevent the presence of God to work in and through us. Our God is a generous God, he provides for all our needs, but if we have no room for Him, how can we experience his generosity?

St. John the Baptist proclaims from the desert: Prepare the way of the Lord. Make straight his paths. Jesus is coming, but we cannot receive him if we have no room for him in our lives and in our hearts. Let us prepare the way of the Lord and remove all the things that hinder us to welcome Jesus with joy.