Sunday, December 21, 2008

A great photographer is a child...

This year I discovered photography. I bought my first DSLR in January this year. I joined filckr groups and got involved in some on-line contests. I won one. I was able to meet up with some photo enthusiasts both professional and amateur. I gained new friends. It was a whole new world altogether. Exciting!

One important thing that photography taught me about taking pictures and about life in general is sensitivity. Be sensitive to your surroundings. Be open to everyone and to everything, even to the simplest, most ordinary little things. Be sensitive and beauty will always present itself. The face of the Creator is always recognizable in his creation.

Because of this, I came to learn that the sun rises in different ways everyday: different colors, different shades, different shapes. Some mornings may seem the same, but they are different. Nothing, not even the most ordinary, can be a poor subject for a stimulating image: a drop of rain, a leaf, a toy, the ordinary hand, the eyes [what eloquent eyes children have!]. Photography opened my eyes to the infinite beauty of people. It broadened my horizon into the limitless wonder of the world. Photography made me a child again. I discovered photography? Photography discovered the child in me.