Thursday, December 31, 2009

Remember and Learn: Lessons for 2010

December 31, 2009

Today is the last day of 2009. A year has passed. A new one is about to begin. This is a good time to look back, to remember and pocket lessons before embarking full speed into a new beginning.

Three people, I remember this year. I remember them because they passed away. And through their passing, I have learned important lessons that I want to share with you tonight; lessons that can help us have a great new start for the coming year.

This year we saw the passing of Micheal Jackson. I am not really a fan, but his music has become a kind of soundtrack for my youth and childhood. I cannot go back to my elementary days without remembering how I wore tattered clothes and used ketchup for fake blood, in order to dance to the iconic “Thriller.” His passing kind of took away the soundtrack of my childhood and youth. In his death, I learned that no amount of fame and wealth can prepare us for death. Not popularity. Not money. Nothing of this material world can prepare us for what lies beyond this life. So what prepares us for death? What prepares us for the life the goes beyond this material world?

This year too, I witnessed the passing of Tatay Sisong. Tatay Sisong is the father of Fr. Gilbert Dumlao. During the funeral, Fr. Gilbert in his homily talked about the unconditional love that Tatay Sisong showered upon his family. When the “Our Father” was sung, the family of Fr. Gilbert held each others hand and the mother went out of the pew, walked in front of the coffin and touched the coffin as if holding Tatay Sisong in her heart. All of us who saw what happened had tears in our eyes. At that moment, I said to myself, this family will overcome this trial in their life, for Tatay Sisong has left a deep and strong foundation of love for his family.

Lastly, only early this week, Nanay Dada passed away. Only yesterday, Nanay Dada was cremated and interned in Manila Memorial Park. I celebrated mass at her wake last Tuesday. Nanay Dada is the yaya of a friend. She has been with her family for 50 years. Nanay Dada chose not to get married. She chose to stick out with the family until she became family. Nanay Dada was truly an example of faithfulness.

Fame and fortune cannot prepare us for death, love and fidelity do. These are values that are also found in Mama Mary, whose solemnity we celebrate today. Love and faithfulness offer us life beyond what this world can give. Love and faithfulness are gifts that thieves cannot take from us, that moths cannot destroy. These are values that last. Love and faithfulness are lessons that we bring into 2010, because these are that will truly make our new year happy.