Saturday, March 15, 2008

KNOWLEDGE IS GRACE

A message to the students of Saint Gabriel Academy in Caloocan City on the occassion of their day of recognition on March 17, 2008. My only hesitation is that there will be grade school students there, some of the points here may not be apt to their young minds.

It has been 22 years since I left Saint Gabriel Academy. At that time, I was in your place. I was seating somewhere there, wishing excitedly that my name be called. Now, I am here in front, wishing earlier, that my name will not be called. I am not sure if I have something interesting to tell you.

I remember that times like these are happy times for students. Recognition and graduation are special times for students like you. This is the time to demand and haggle with your parents.

When I was your age, every time I would receive an award from school – first honorable mention, best in conduct, best in P.E., etc. – it was the time for me to demand more confidently from my parents. Oftentimes I would demand a little extra money to be spent for my Voltes V, Voltron and GI Joe, or sometimes I would demand a little leeway to come home late to go to Ever Gotesco Mall [sarado na yata ngayon] or more excitingly to SM City, North EDSA, or in another time, I would demand for a little more concession on my use of the telephone [PLDT landline yun, wala pang celfone noon at wala pang text, uso pa noon ang phone pal]. Every year I would strive to receive an academic award, so that I can demand from my parents my reward.

Why do we study? Is it only to get high grades? Why do we aim to get high grades? Is it only for recognition? And so, get rewards for them? Do we study only to get what we want?

I guess, you have heard the story of Marianet Amper. Sino si Marianet Amper? Siya ay isang estudyante sa grade 6, 12 years old. Taga-Mindanao. Noong November 2, 2007, si Marianet Amper ay nagpakamatay.

When we hear of stories of people committing suicide, wether we know them or not, we ask why, we feel sorry for them. So much more when a 12 year old takes her own life. We do not only feel sorry for the child or for the parents, but there is indignation, there is anger. Why would a child commit suicide? A child whom we expect to be playful, jolly, enthusiastic and full of life. How can a 12 year old be so full of despair and take her own life.?

The story says that the family of Marianet was really poor; that she was not able to go to school because she had no money for her project, that she had to stay at home because she had no money for transportation, that she had to help her mother do the laundry, that her parents had no means to provide for their daily meals, much more for her schooling. For Marianet there was no room for play or textbooks, there was only poverty and frustration, and so Marianet ended her despair by ending her life.

You are far more blessed than Marianet. You do not need to stay at home in order to help your mother do the laundry, or help your father harvest the fields. You do not need to work in order to have your allowance. You have your parents to provide for you. You have your parents or your school bus to bring you to and from the school. You have your teachers who care for you. You have your friends to uplift you. You are so much blessed. Do not waste this blessing.

Do not use this knowledge to cheat or to take what is not yours. Do not use this knowledge to make fun of the poor or to put down the dignity of another person. Do not use this knowledge to advance merely your personal or familial circumstance but for the good of all as much as possible. Knowledge is a blessing from the Lord, it can only bear much fruit, if this blessing is shared to others.

And so we go back to our original question: why do we study? We study because knowledge is a a gift from God. And he wants us to grow in knowledge, to develop it, to sharpen it, to discover the truth, to make it grow and share the fruits to others. We study because knowledge reveals to us who we are for each other. It enlightens us about our definitive place in this ever-changing world. We study because knowledge discloses our authentic dignity as sons and daughters of God.

There is an adage that says, “Knowledge is power.” In the light of faith, I believe, it is more appropriate to say that, “Knowledge is grace.” If we have knowledge we are blessed. If we have knowledge we are able to understand. If we have knowledge we are able to help. If we have knowledge we are able to serve. Do not forget that being here today is being blessed. And that blessing will bear so much fruit if shared.

Congratulations to all the parents, may your love for your children be a mirror of God’s blessings for them. Congratulations to all the students, may you never forget how blessed you are. Maraming Salamat po inyong lahat.