Friday, July 6, 2007

I Want to be a Saint

As a newcomer in the seminary the first book that was given to us for spiritual reading was "The Lives of Saints." I remember reading about St. Dominic Savio, St. Tarcisius, St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, St. Augustine, St. Thomas, and St. John Bosco. Formators gave us the book with the admonition, "Imitate them."

If there is one thing I learned from that book is that saints are human. Saints are not aliens from far far away, totally different from us. They were like us; weak, with hearts full of questions, confused, struggling, misunderstood, sinners. I remember formators point out that when asked what our ambitions are, rather than say "I want to be a priest" it is more right to say "I want to be a saint."

Can anyone really dream of becoming a saint? Would it not be boastful to dream so? Is it realy possible to aspire for sainthood and not come as a show off?

I want to be a saint! Who can say this with all honesty and humility? I know I can't. But on second thought why not. Why can't we? For in its simplicity is found the will of God for all his children. We are called to be holy. And so, we are all called to be saints.

A Cardinal was once asked, "What are saints?" The Cardinal candidly answered, "Saints are normal Christians. The problem with us is that we are not normal."

Get in front of the mirror and say, "I want to be a saint." Then, get in front of the Blessed Sacrament and say, "Only you can make me a saint."