Friday, January 18, 2008

WE DO NOT TAKE JESUS SERIOUSLY...

While in the seminary I got to read a book entitled, "Jesus Before Christianity." I never forgot the book for it opened my eyes to the reality of the challenge of Jesus turning the lives of those who follow him in first century Jerusalem upside down. It was a portrait of Jesus stripped of the dogma and doctrine that we all know today. it was a Jesus free from sentimentality and dreamy attachments that characterized most of the devotions today. It was a Jesus totally passionate about justice. It was a life-changing read. The author was a Dominican, Albert Nolan.

Yesterday, I saw a book authored by Albert Nolan. I remembered how good he was. I remembered the enlightenment that he brought into my faith [and at that time into my formation for the priesthood]. I immediately got hold of the book and read through the Foreword. Apparently, this is Albert's second book after "Jesus Before Christianity." The first one was about South Africa, aparthied and the gospel. This one, "Jesus Today", is about, so said the foreword, how the spirituality of Jesus, named as radical freedom, can liberate us today. Copyright was 2006. It was a new book. How can I let this pass? How can I let go an author that unforgettably touched my faith? I bought the book and resolved to begin with it as soon as I finish with Spe Salvi [the Pope's second encyclical].

I cannot wait to begin reading the book. So, I started with the introduction. It hits hard: "On the whole we don't take Jesus seriously - whether we call ouselves Christians or not. There are some remarkable exceptions, but by and large we don't love our enemies, we don't turn the other cheek, we don't forgive seventy times seven times, we don't bless those who curse, we don't put all our hopw and trust in God. We have our excuses. I am no saint. It is not meant for everybody, surely? It's a great ideal, but it's not very practical in this day and age."

Straightforward and truthful. I'm sure, this would be a very excitng read.